Sunday, September 6, 2015

I want to be like Smaug when I grow up.


Isn't baby Smaug absolutely adorable??

I think we all at some point in our lives dream about being rich and famous, some more than others. Me? I've imagined myself as a well-known and respected author since I was a small kid scribbling in journals. But it's only recently that I've truly begun to pursue the goal in reality.

And sure, I want to be rich and famous. I mean, what author doesn't dream of writing multiple best-sellers, making enough money that they never have to worry about how they're going to support their kids, showing up at a book signing and having fans lined up out the door? I'd be lying if I said I didn't have that dream. (And it looks like I may be on my way, but more on that next month.)

But what's more important to me now than achieving that dream, is to tell good stories. Write real characters. Stay true to myself as an author. Continually develop my craft. Never fall into the trap of thinking I have nothing left to learn. 

After all, being rich and famous is awesome, and Smaug eventually made it. But...one must also consider where it got him. Am I right?

(Wow...this post took a turn right into touchy-feeling, philosophical, hoity-toityism, didn't it? Shit...)

See you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment